Saturday, November 10, 2012

"Good Things" Birds of a Feather cross stitch

Six months gone by should equal a really awesome story...world travel, first novel completion or successful battle against obscure disease. Hmmm ~ does this count?
 
 
 
Birds of a Feather "Good Things"
         
   My daughter helped me with the color subsitution using Crescent Colours threads.   I stitched this as an homage to my maternal grandparents,  Louis and Alice Folger Wilcox. My grandfather was the dedicated caretaker of a private estate in Wareham, Massachusetts for 46 years.  My mother had the privilege to be raised there on Codman Point on Buzzards Bay.  My brother and I spent a lot of happy hours on this special island and many important values were established under their guidance. 
                                                  
                This is my grandfather in his rowboat with his faithful dog, Eldredge.  He provided the most delicious bounty from the sea~ fresh cod, quahogs, little neck clams and mussels to complement the abundance from his garden.                            
 
   
 
I imagined the freedom of a soaring seagull. It looked like the life!
 
 
 
 
My grandmother was serene and regal, teaching me words like "piazza" and how to play War. She took us swimming every day and made us homemade gingerbread.
 
 
 
 
 
My grandmother made the best New England fish chowder.
 
 
 
Every time I smell a ripe tomato I am transported back to the gardens my grandfather kept.
 
This will be framed and go on the wall next to the aerial photo of Codman Point on my wall.
Joy in rememberance! I try to live the values my grandparents taught me by example and hopefully instill them in my own children. Their idyllic exsistence on "The Point" fell victim to progress, but lives forever in my and my brother's heart    (and the tireless stories I tell my family ~ "It's a good story, and you tell it so well!")
 
 
Now that it's done *sigh* I am thinking the bottem where the words are needs to be filled in and the words restitched in Hydrangea from CC? Thoughts? Looks bare....
 
Another 6 months unaccounted for.
 

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely story. I am looking forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great as is! I love the memories that you've tied in to personalize it! If you'd ever be willing to sell your chart I would love to buy it! I have been admiring this one for a few years ! Msmith94@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this post and love it as much as this chart! I collect mermaids and have several charts. Ive looked all over for this to no avail so I was wondering if you still had the chart, and if so, would you be willing to sell it?? Kattmac19@gmail.com. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, just came across your blog- amazing to hear your memories of ‘the point’. I too have idyllic childhood memories of that place...

    Nathan (Churchill) Seder

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I too as a down the road neighbor on Burgess Point. I think my great grandfather might have delivered ice back in the day.

    ReplyDelete